Friday 4 July 2014

On challenges

The first half of this year has been challenging, to put it mildly. Things that I never thought could happen to me (see: broken leg, family troubles) have. It has been tough, and frustrating and I never in a million years would have wanted anything that has happened so far, to have happened or to happen to other people.

But then, part of me is glad this has all gone on, because what I've found is that when terrible things happen, good can come out of it. I had a very unlikely inspirational person on this point, a manager and friend from when I worked at a waitress. He taught me something very valuable (though I think at the time he was referring to trying to turn a waitressing disaster into something better, like dropping a glass or forgetting to place an order). He would always say "what are you going to do to turn this around?" And that has helped me invaluably. I suppose another way to phrase it is what lessons, or what positives, can you take from a challenge, how can you make sure that this wasn't a wasted opportunity.

With my broken leg and the other troubles, I've learned that:
- total strangers can be wonderful, they can look after you and be kind and caring even Londoners. I generally tend to be a bit sceptical of people (to quote Dr Cox in Scrubs) "People are bastard coated bastards with a bastard filling" (okay, I've never been that bad), but what I've learned is actually people can be lovely, really lovely. Total strangers called an ambulance, shielded me from the cars and made sure I was okay, they've helped me get around, held doors, and generally looked after me;
- the people in my life are wonderful. I'm not saying I had the "bastard" view of friends and family members, I just didn't always realise how much they cared. I've had people visit, cook food, check up on me, make me laugh, carry stuff for me, be concerned for me.
- Given all the loveliness experienced above, it's encouraged me to be a better person (or at least try). When thinking of the strangers who stayed with me, it's made me think "would I do the same?""how can I help out people in my life?"
- You can only take some things, one day at a time. If I had known when I first broke my leg that two months later, I'd still be using crutches, I think I would have freaked out. The surgeon told me it would be three months until I was back to normal, and at the time it seemed terrible, but now it seems about right, and it's been okay
- figure out how you can "turn it around". I would never have wanted to break my leg, but I enjoyed having the break from work (as terrible as that sounds), as it's given me some perspective. It's also given me time to do other stuff, like get a novel ready for a competition (I'd planned on doing it, but I don't know if I would have managed it), realise how rushed and stressed out I was, start blogging and watch some of the world's worst movies without feeling guilty